The Vision Australia Radio Network operates in Adelaide, Perth and Victoria to address the information needs of people who are blind, have low vision or a print disability. The service is delivered by an enthusiastic and passionate team of 600+ volunteers nationally with the support of a small team of dedicated staff.
Vision Australia Radio currently requires a new volunteer technical operator for our live sports radio program. Technical operators are also required for a range of pre-recorded programs across 2020.
Vision Sports live radio program:
Working in a radio studio with a team of volunteers you are responsible for operating the panel equipment during live programming. Previous experience is required for this particular role. Saturday morning shifts only from 9.00am to 12.30 on a regular basis. You must be available for regular shifts on a Saturday morning and provide technical support for a live sports discussion radio program at the VAR studio’s in Kooyong. You will be required to spend a few hours in a studio operating the panel during live programming.
Skills / experience:
- ability to operate a studio panel (broadcast console) during live programming
- keep volunteers informed of the show's progress
- keep the show on time, and ensure timing out to breaks
- play music, commercials and programming elements at appropriate times
- operate the on-air telephone system
- ensure that volunteer microphone levels are acceptable
- ability to work under pressure
- knowledge/experience of the community broadcasting sector
- computer literacy
- attention to detail
- good communication skills
- ability to work as a team
- an interest in sports
- available on a regular basis on Saturday mornings
Technical Operators required for pre-recorded radio programs
You will be required to provide technical support (audio recording, audio quality and possibly editing) for pre-recorded radio programs at the VAR studio’s in Kooyong, spending a few hours in a studio listening to volunteer readings and marking any errors as they arise. This may include: incorrect pronunciation of words, stopping and starting readings, long pauses, coughing noises and the likes.
Skills / experience:
- An interest in audio recording with moderate computer skills.
- Good comprehension of the English language.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail.
- Strong concentration and listening skills.
- Good communication skills and ability to work as a team.
- Ability to work unsupervised.
- Audio recording and editing software skills (highly desirable).
Current available Shifts:
· Tuesdays: 1.45pm to 3.45pm
· Thursdays: 9.45am to 10.45am
· Regular fill in when vacancies arise, weekdays and afternoons only 1.45pm to 3.45pm
Interested? Contact our coordinator of volunteers Marilyn.Bednar@visionaustralia.org to discuss further.